What is BFRT?
BFRT is a training strategy that uses a manipulation of the body’s circulatory system in combination with light resistance exercise—such as bodyweight work—to achieve improvements in strength and fitness similar to the results of high intensity strength training (traditional heavy weightlifting). This has been proven in research.
Key advantages are:
- Light weights = less risk of muscle strain or joint injury
- Light loads = less soreness and quicker recovery
- Portability means strength training can be done anywhere.
- Sports-specific motions can be practiced resulting in functional strength gains.
(B)STRONG provides affordable state-of-the-art equipment and guidance to ensure a safe, comfortable, and successful BFR training experience.
We used to think that you had to rip apart muscle fibers to build them back stronger. BFRT research has now proven that you only need to make your body think damage occurred, and this is what BFRT accomplishes.
When you add relatively easy exercise on to this blood flow restriction condition, the working muscle can’t get oxygen and energy it requires to sustain work. As the early fibers fatigue and drop out, other, faster, bigger fibers are recruited to do the work, resulting in all fibers in the muscle being used over the course of the exercise. Metabolic waste like lactic acid builds up and is not adequately cleared producing strong muscle burn and distress signals that trigger a system wide “re-building”, or anabolic response. You are able to tap into your bodies natural re-building response without damaging muscle fibers. You still gain, but without the physical “cost” of traditional strength training.
- 5-6 exercises.
- Each exercise- 3 sets of 30-45 seconds on with 30 sec rest in between.
- When weights and pressures are correct, you shouldn’t complete the third set before your form breaks down.